Career Recruitment at The (IITA) July 2019
Jobs Vacancy : Career Employment at The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) July 2019
Job Description : Work opportunity at The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) July 2019
Category : Accounting Jobs in Nigeria, Management Jobs in Nigeria
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation.
Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: TAAT Internal Auditor, Program Management Unit
General Information: The initial appointment is for three years.
- The Office of the Internal Auditor shall be responsible for planning, organizing, directing and controlling a broad, comprehensive program of auditing across compact activities without limitation to all projects under the TAAT Program.
- The Office shall provide all levels of management with periodic, independent and objective appraisals and audits of financial, accounting, operational, administrative and other activities, including identifying possible means of risk reduction, improving accountability, efficiency of operations and economy in the use of resources.
- Performing financial, operational, administrative and information technology audits, including field verification of projects, compacts and initiatives financed under the Program.
- Reviewing, on a continuing basis, the systems of internal controls maintained by the Program to safeguard its financial and physical assets, verifying the existence of related assets and making recommendations to correct any weaknesses.
- The internal auditor will also be required to review and evaluate, on a continuing basis, the adequacy of the internal control architecture, as well as records and reports with a view to appropriately recommending improvements to the systems.
- Reviewing the reliability, accuracy and integrity of key financial and automated management information systems, ensuring that such systems employ essential controls which minimize the risk of unauthorized access.
- Drafting internal audit reports and discussing findings and recommendations with the appropriate level of management.
- In conjunction with the Program Financial Management Specialist, liaising with external auditors and ensuring that external auditors’ and the Bank mission’s recommendations are implemented without delay.
- Providing consulting, advisory and audit services, in accordance with the Institute of Internal Auditors’ standards, to assist the program management in meeting its objectives.
- Liaising with Program Management Unit on significant issues relating to the processes for controlling the activities of the Program, including potential improvements to those processes.
- Maintaining an on-going system of monitoring the adequacy of the actions taken by management to implement supervision missions, internal and external audit recommendations and reporting on the status of implementation.
- Providing advice and assisting Compacts on matters relating to internal controls.
- Undertaking such actions as shall be necessary in furtherance of the above responsibilities that are consistent with the provisions of the Financial Regulations and in conformity with the Institute of Internal Auditors’ standards and pertinent Donor’s policies.
- Establishing the timetable, objective, scope and procedures for the internal audit assignment, and ensuring that these are adhered to or modified as appropriate to ensure an effective and efficient use of internal audit resources.
- Carry out investigations as requested by top project management
- The overall responsibility is to provide independent, objective assurance and consulting services designed to add value and improve the Program’s operations and shall include but not limited to:
- Developing a flexible annual audit plan using appropriate risk-based methodology, including any risks or control concerns identified by management, and submit the plan to the Program Management/ Steering Committee for review and approval.
- Implementing the annual audit plan, as approved, including, as appropriate, any special tasks or assignments requested by the Program Leadership; and, reporting periodically on the status and results of the annual audit plan as well as on the adequacy of the Program’s resources.
- Determining whether the Program’s framework of risk management, control, and governance processes, as designed through the Project Appraisal Report and implemented by the leadership of the different compacts, is adequate and functioning by assessing the adequacy and effectiveness of the Program’s processes for controlling its activities and managing its risks.
Independence and Objectivity:
- The Internal Auditor shall report operationally to the Program Steering Committee and administratively to the Program Coordinator.
- He/She shall carry out his/her functions in total independence and may not be influenced directly or indirectly in how he/she conducts his/her works.
- The appointment of the Internal Auditor shall be for the life of the program.
Relationship with the External Auditors:
- The Internal Auditor shall coordinate internal audit efforts with External Auditors to provide adequate audit coverage, minimize possible duplication of efforts and provide maximum review of the Program’s activities.
- Bachelor’s or an Advanced degree in Finance and/or Accounting or its equivalent.
- Possess a professional auditing or fraud examination qualification such as CIA, CISA or CFE.
- Accounting qualification such as ACCA, CIMA, CA is desirable as added advantage.
- Possess general computer literacy, with practical knowledge of Microsoft Office (especially Word & Excel).
- Be a good team player, with fluency in English and excellent communication and analytical skills.
- Working knowledge of French language will be an advantage.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, readiness to travel within short notices and passion to meet strict deadlines.
- Have at least 10 years relevant work experience; at least 3 of which should be with one or more reputable accounting firms.
- Prior work with donor funded projects will be a distinct advantage.
- Knowledge and proficiency of the Oracle accounting software in use by the program would be a distinct advantage.
IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
How To Apply
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format, The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 5th July, 2019
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.