Career Employment at Danish Refugee Council June 2019
Jobs Vacancy : Recent Work opportunity at Danish Refugee Council (DRC) June 2019
Job Description : Recent Career Employment at Danish Refugee Council (DRC) June 2019
Category : Healthcare Jobs in Nigeria
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income generating activities, and wide range of other assistance.
It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries. We are looking for a highly qualified candidate to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Specialist – Adolescent and PSS
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Availability: As soon as possible
Designation of Duty Station: Non-Family duty station.
Overall Purpose of the Role
- Develop and manage DRC humanitarian programming centered on psychosocial programming utilizing current global MPHSS standards with the goal of strengthening of protection and resilience, for displaced populations; including internally displaced persons (IDPs), refugees, host families, host communities, and returnees.
- The Protection Adolescent and PSS Advisor will oversee the management and development of DRC Adolescent girls and (MH) PSS portfolio in Nigeria with the technical support of the Coordinator.
- The incumbent will ensure that the adolescent mentorship program is implemented successfully through develop all necessary materials, scales of measurement to for psychosocial well-being and enhance a strong sustainable exit strategy.
- He/She will develop psychosocial Standard operating procedures for protection programming in Nigeria, design effect implementation guides, capacity build staff and mentors to implement effective and quality PSS programming.
- Capacity build protection staff on (MH) PSS to improve quality of programming.
- Develop clear (MH) PSS implementation workplans with clearly defined activities and outputs.
- Develop tools and processes to capture, share and incorporate lessons learned and best practices to inform and enhance quality of programming
- Capacity build adolescents and mentors within the current project scope with the required skills to enhance psychological well-being.
- He/she will focus on achieving five (5) main outcomes of the Danish TV project as follows:
- Improved health and psychosocial support for adolescent girls;
- Strengthened confidence of adolescent girls through mentorship;
- Improved income generation capacities of adolescent girls in collaboration with the livelihood coordinator.
- Improved education outcomes for adolescent girls in collaboration with the protection manager.
- Contribute to relevant advocacy initiatives to promote protection and empowerment of adolescent, youth and girls.
- Delivering technical support for all MHPSS (PSS) activities (strategy, design, quality, monitoring) across all relevant projects
- Representation and external coordination within the MHPSS technical coordination forums.
- Contributing to DRC operational and programmatic strategy, in close link with the Coordinator and Protection Manager.
- Contributing to proposal design and writing and identifying scale up opportunities for adolescent and youth programming.
- Reporting on adolescent programming and PSS within protection programming.
- Line/technical management of MHPSS staff
Programme management responsibilities:
- Develop appropriate detailed workplans, indicator matrixes and reporting tools for PSS and adolescent and youth programming.
- Ensure positions are staffed and projects are on track in collaboration with protection coordinator.
- Oversee and provide with technical MHPSS guidance to ensure programme quality of the adolescents and PSS programming in Nigeria with a focus on Danish TV project.
- Provide technical input on youth, adolescent and (MH) PSS components in proposals, reports and advocacy products.
- Budget management and expenditure in compliance with DRC policies for the Danish TV budget.
- In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: you focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process
- Collaborating: you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: you take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: you act in line with our vision and values
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills;
- Strong understanding of protection principles and likely protection concerns arising in the Nigerian context as well as conflict sensitivity;
- Solid experience in staff management in a cross-cultural environment required
- Proven ability to build external relationships with diplomacy, tact and professionalism in a complex and demanding environment.
- Experience with capacity building of national staff and stakeholders, and in the facilitation of training events and workshops;
- M&E knowledge and experience, including understanding of conducting assessments and analysing data
- Substantial project management and budget management skills and experience;
- Proven commitment to humanitarian accountability and quality standards
- Experience and willingness to work in the field in volatile and insecure areas;
- Experience living and working in a cross-cultural, multi-sector, team environment
- Ability to work well under pressure and in adverse conditions;
- Proficiency in common computer packages i.e. Word, Excel, Power point etc
- B.A/B.Sc – Degree in Psychology (Master degree of Psychology or at least Bachelor degree of Psychology with strong proven knowledge and experience in providing technical support to MHPSS programs in emergency contexts and complementary degree in Sociology / Social Work / Community based approaches) essential
- 3 – 5 years of professional experience in implementing MHPSS activities in emergency context
- Proven experience in providing technical support to field teams, implementing trainings
- Extensive work experience within the field of human rights protection, particularly in internal displacement and crisis settings;
- Excellent written and spoken English is required.
- Contract: 1 years with possibility of extension, subject to funding and Performance.
- Salary and other conditions are offered in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment for national staff conditions in the respective Country.
- This position is under Employment band NM.G level 2
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 15th June, 2019.
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact Jean Syanda (email@example.com).
- Due to the urgency of this role, kindly note that interviews will be done on a rolling basis.