Job Opportunity at Development Alternatives, Inc April 2019
Jobs Vacancy : Career Opening at Development Alternatives, Inc (DAI) April 2019
Job Description : Career Employment at Development Alternatives, Inc (DAI) April 2019
Category : Security Jobs in Nigeria
Development Alternatives, Inc (DAI) is an international global consulting firm headquartered in the USA with offices in the UK and Nigeria. For more than 45 years, we have worked on the front-lines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Regional Security Manager
Job Code: 4335
DAI, a Global Development Company with a long track record of delivering development results in Nigeria and West Africa currently manages on behalf of multiple customers a portfolio of projects spread geographically throughout Nigeria and West Africa, some in challenging risk environments.
DAI has corporate offices in Abuja and Lagos, as well as project locations in Bauchi, Borno, Kano, and Port Harcourt, and Sokoto, among others, and various project locations throughout West Africa. Each project has defined security protocols depending on its geographical reach, role and resourcing. Some have a subcontracted private security contractor (PSC) and others use in-house Security Managers. DAI teams regularly travel to corporate and project offices around the country and region.
- This is a senior level position that requires knowledge of security risk management in Nigeria and West Africa, with an acute understanding of country and region-wide security environment nuances and the application of low profile security in conjunction with the use of PSCs. The position requires an excellent communicator, team player, trainer, strategist and ability to work independently.
- The objective of this role is to support DAI and its various programmes and business operations in Nigeria and West Africa to effectively mitigate potential security threats from criminal, terrorist or natural disasters. The Regional Security Manager (RSM) will act as safety and security manager on all activities providing risk analysis, incident management, operational support and advice in Nigeria and West Africa.
- The Regional Security Manager will be expected to coordinate and lead other Security Managers and Security Focal Points at DAI’s offices , and with agencies such as UN, OCHA, INSO, DFID, USAID, INGO & Local NGO security networks, as well as state security organizations.
- This position will be based at DAI’s corporate offices in Abuja, with country-wide travel and some regional travel to support other DAI programmes in West Africa. The position will report to the DAI’s Department of Global Security (DGS).
Scope of Work:
- Develop a centralized monitoring, evaluating and response system for all programmes
- Synergize all security approaches (and training) as far as practical
- Liaise and manage the Private Security Company contracts in terms of QC/QA and contractual matters from a technical standpoint in line with DAI Security Policy
- Work with Department of Global Security to capacity build in-house Security Managers
- Develop security strategies and information requests for USAID, DFID, EU and other donor or private ‘Request for Proposals’ or invitations to tender
- Develop and maintain a tracking system for vehicles and staff in high risk environments
- Develop and manage to a Country Security Policy Manual in line with DAI Global Security Policy
- Develop a country wide reporting system with all programme security personnel
The RSM will work closely with the corporate DAI team based in Nigeria to manage and maintain the safety and security of programmes in Nigeria. This includes:
- Maintain and operationalize the project’s Crisis & Incident Management Plan in line with DAI’s security policies and procedures.
- Provide written security assessments of the geographic areas where our activities are centered (when required)
- Monitor and update the risk level assessment and ensure all staff are briefed and understand it
- Act as a bridge between field-based project teams and DAI’s Global Security Department for issues related to security risk and crisis management
- Provide training on security awareness and crisis management to all incoming staff and/or periodic situational briefings when requested.
- Provide security and contingency briefings to DAI staff including those coming in for recon, short-term inputs and other activity
- Have the capacity to coordinate, advise and react to local incidents such as being held up at roadblocks, responding to accidents, or pressure from local groups or government services.
- Provide quality control on Project Security Plans in line with DAI’s security policies and procedures
- Produce written ‘Threat and Security Assessment’ (TASA) of new locations when required
- West Africa: While Nigeria will be the primary area of focus, where feasible and as agreed with the DGS the RSM may be tasked with regional Short-Term Assignments (STTA). Similar to the Nigeria scope of work, typical regional tasks will include: security risk assessments, training of DAI project Security Focal Points in basic security risk management & incident management, establishing security networks, developing security plans and other security documents
- Education: A University Degree (Bachelor’s) in Security Risk Management, International Affairs, political science or a related subject (Consideration will be given to candidates who have other accumulated security experiences in Africa)
- Excellent ability to work with MS office and other common office programs including Outlook
- Excellent ability to communicate clearly, concisely and effectively with security staff and non-security staff alike.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is mandatory. French would be desirable
- Significant proven private security experience or project management with international organizations including experience in Nigeria or other African countries.
- A Military or Police Experience is preferable
- Experience in procurement, report writing and analytical writing
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their attach a CV that includes 3 references (that can be contacted if successful) and a cover letter explaining why you are eligible for the position and your salary expectations to: email@example.com
- Please put Regional Security Manager – Nigeria as the email subject.
- DAI will only contact candidates that are successful at this pre-qualification stage.
- DAI Europe is obligated to comply with HMG policies, processes, procedures and regulations on Individual and Organizational Vetting Procedures.
- We have a robust HR policy on recruitment and selection to eliminate the risk of hiring unsuitable employees. All DAI Europe corporate staff, project staff, short term staff or independent consultants will be vetted before contracting or employing. Details can be provided on request
Application Deadline: 5th April, 2019.