Career Opening at Afrobarometer Nigeria Feb 2019
Jobs Vacancy : Career Employment at Afrobarometer Nigeria Feb 2019
Job Description : Work opportunity at Afrobarometer Nigeria Feb 2019
Category : Administrative Jobs in Nigeria
Afrobarometer is a pan-African, non-partisan research network that conducts public attitude surveys on democracy, governance, economic conditions, and related issues in more than 35 countries in Africa. Through our findings, ordinary citizens can have a voice in policy-making processes that affect their lives.
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Partner to Conduct an Afrobarometer Round 8 Survey
- Afrobarometer is inviting bids from organizations interested in serving as the National Partners (NP) for Nigeria. Under Afrobarometer’s direction, the selected NPs will conduct nationally representative sample surveys of the adult population of Nigeria
- In addition to conducting an Afrobarometer survey, the successful bidders will act as the representative of Afrobarometer in the respective countries for the duration of the partnership and will be eligible to participate in Afrobarometer meetings, workshops, and other capacity building and management activities.
Afrobarometer conducts a comparative series of public attitude surveys covering approximately 35 countries in each two-year “round.” Round 8 surveys will take place during 2019 and 2020. Based on representative national samples, the surveys measure citizen attitudes to democracy and governance, markets and civil society, and a range of related topics. The surveys are repeated on a regular basis to allow comparisons over time and across space.
Afrobarometer is dedicated to three main objectives:
- To produce scientifically reliable data on public opinion in Africa
- To build institutional capacity for survey research in Africa
- To broadly disseminate and apply survey results
Afrobarometer is implemented by the Afrobarometer Network, a consortium of independent survey research institutions based mainly in Africa, comprising:
- Core Partners that provide leadership to the Network and technical assistance to NPs on survey management, research design, fundraising, publication, and the dissemination of survey results
- National Partners in each participating country that are responsible for survey fieldwork and dissemination of survey results at the country level
- Support Units that provide technical and capacity building support to the Network
The results of Afrobarometer surveys are fed directly into the policy process in order to inform the public debate about democracy, governance, and other policy and development issues. We seek to reach diverse audiences, including decision-makers in governments and parliaments, policy advocates and civic educators, journalists, researchers, donor agencies and investors, as well as average Africans who wish to become better informed.
Purpose of this Request for Bids
- Successful applicants will enjoy the benefits of partnership with a network that is regarded as a premier provider of public opinion data in Africa. Membership in the Afrobarometer Network offers opportunities for new partnerships with like-minded organizations across the continent, national and international publication of findings and analysis, and training and capacity building opportunities in survey design and implementation, quantitative analysis, communications, and related skills
- All Afrobarometer surveys are implemented strictly according to the protocols outlined in the latest version of the Afrobarometer Survey Manual, which can be found at: http://www.afrobarometer.org/surveys-and-methods
- Afrobarometer is currently seeking National Partners in Nigeria to implement the Round 8 survey with sample size n=1200 in the country in 2019/2020
- At Afrobarometer’s discretion, after formal evaluation of the National Partners’ performance in this round, and subject to the availability of funds for additional surveys, this partnership may be renewed for up to two additional rounds (Round 9, estimated implementation 2021-2022, and Round 10, estimated implementation 2023-2024)
Interested organizations are advised to carefully review the Afrobarometer Survey Manual prior to submitting their bids, as it outlines the full scope of our protocols and practices, and expectations of partner organizations. In particular, this includes protocols regarding:
- Data collection and fieldwork quality control
- Data cleaning and management
- Analysis and dissemination of results.
- Sample design
- Questionnaire development and translation
- Fieldworker recruitment
- Fieldworker training and questionnaire pre-testing
National Partner Responsibilities
- In close consultation at every stage with the supervising Afrobarometer Core Partner, and in accordance with the Network’s protocols, the successful Afrobarometer
- National Partners will be expected to conduct nationally representative surveys in Nigeria with sample size of n=1200.
This will include performing the following duties:
- Manage all aspects of fieldwork in strict accordance with a timetable developed in consultation with Afrobarometer;
- Ensure quality control of data collection in the field;
- Prepare reports on sampling and fieldwork methodology;
- Contribute to the preparation of a Summary of Results in conjunction with Afrobarometer technical advisers;
- Prepare basic analyses of key findings;
- Plan and execute, with Network technical support, an effective communications program that includes a stakeholder analysis , public dissemination events, published papers, press releases, and social media support to disseminate survey findings to media, the NGO community, government officials, legislators, the donor community, and other identified stakeholders.
- Identify and access census databases required for designing a nationally representative sample, and work in conjunction with the Afrobarometer Sampling Specialist and national statistics office to draw the sample and to procure maps and other materials necessary for implementation of the survey;
- Indigenize the generic Afrobarometer questionnaire to suit local settings, work with Afrobarometer surveys and communications teams to develop countryspecific questions to be included in the questionnaire, and translate the questionnaire into relevant local language(s) according to Afrobarometer protocols;
- Solicit a sufficient number of tablets for fieldwork that satisfy the specifications outlined in the Afrobarometer Survey Manual;
- Recruit fieldworkers with required qualifications and appropriate language and fieldwork skills and train them to collect data from households using tablets;
- Select and train field supervisors to monitor fieldwork and oversee fieldwork quality control;
- Pre-test and make agreed modifications to the questionnaire;
- Develop a survey logistics plan;
Bids should include the following:
- A description of the personnel to be used on the survey. Please list the qualifications and experience of each class of personnel and provide curriculum vitae of the principal investigator and any other senior management personnel, including the person(s) responsible for sampling and data management. Also include the planned number and qualifications of field interviewers and Field Supervisors.
- A detailed description of the survey experience (with supporting documentation if possible) of the proposing organization and lead researchers, especially in conducting surveys involving nationally representative samples.
- A description of proposed approaches for a) fieldwork training, and b) fieldwork implementation and supervision, including quality control measures to be implemented at each stage;
- An estimated budget showing costs for each of the following elements:
- Personnel: name, position, number of days and daily rates (for principal investigator, field supervisors, fieldworkers, drivers, and any other specialists such as translators, sampler)
- Travel: vehicle rental (cost per day), bus or boat tickets (where applicable), fuel (estimated mileage), lodging (number of days and
- daily rates), meals/per diem (number of days and rate), insurance (required).
- Supplies & services: printing, office supplies, field supplies, maps, etc.
- Other direct costs: training, maps, venue hire, translations, etc.
- Demonstration of the analytical and writing skills of the researcher(s) who will participate in preparation of survey publications based on survey findings.
- Demonstration of the organization’s communications capacity, including its ability to engage with media, the public, and other stakeholders and potential users of the data, and to coordinate and host effective public dissemination events.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their Bids which should be delivered in English to “Daniel Armah-Attoh, Afrobarometer Project Manager, Ghana Center for Democratic Development” by e-mail to: email@example.com
Application Deadline 21st February, 2019.
Note: Questions and requests for additional information can also be directed to Daniel Armah-Attoh.