The IFC Young Professionals program (IFC YPP) is our flagship recruitment program, which offers a unique opportunity to launch a global career in finance. You join as an Associate in the Investment, Advisory or Treasury streams. You will start in Washington DC and build your expertise through hands on assignments and transactions in different countries. IFC’s approach is to combine rigorous analysis, innovative deal structuring with a focus on financial sustainability and positive development impact.
The program is open to current students or recent graduates of MBA or similar programs with strong financial skills. You should be able to demonstrate a track record of success in your prior work experience and have a strong interest in working in Emerging Markets.
• 3-year program with 2 to 3 rotational assignments either in a regional hub or a different
industry department or in another World Bank Group institution
• Participating units include Financial Institutions Group; Infrastructure and Natural Resources; Manufacturing, Agribusiness and Services; TMT, Venture Capital & Funds; Public Private Partnership; and Treasury and Syndications
• Leadership exposure and development that provides strong opportunities for growth
• Active coaching throughout the program
The program is structured to provide you with a solid understanding of IFC’s business.
On Boarding and Career Development
You will participate in a 2-week on-boarding program, where you will learn about the World Bank Group in general and specifically about IFC products and operations. You will also interact with Senior Management and other staff. In addition, you will be enrolled in a 4-week residential Investment & Credit training course, where you will be introduced to IFC’s investment and credit culture and investment process. The Investment & Credit training course is a series of training courses that form building blocks to support your career progression as an investment professionals at IFC.
You will also have an opportunity to interact with other Word Bank Group (WBG) Young Professionals, which will enable you to forge career long networks across the WBG institutions and gain a greater understanding of each insti
tutions products and operations.
Your Role as an IFC Young Professional (YP)
You will be recruited as an Associate Investment Officer (AIO). AIO’s are part of a multi-disciplinary team focused on identifying investment opportunities, executing transactions and actively managing portfolio projects. In this role, your objectives will be to maximize the impact of IFC’s intervention and contribute to the development of our countries of operation by executing innovative, developmental, and profitable investments for IFC. Through this program, you can also rotate to IFC’s Public Private Partnership as well as IFC’s Treasury and Syndications units.
• Analyze operational and financial performance of potential client companies or projects to identify opportunities, address risks, and recommend investment options. Evaluate the benefits and risks of new transactions and develop innovative and appropriate financial structures
• Supervise project implementation, including disbursements
• Build and maintain strong relationships with clients and other stakeholders
• Coordinate closely with social, environmental, and technical assistance colleagues to add value to our clients’ businesses and achieve sustainable development impact
The AIO’s should have 3 to 6 years of prior relevant work experience (investment banking, project finance, private equity, corporate finance, portfolio management, management consulting or Treasury).
• Current students or recent graduates of MBA or similar program
• Strong analytical and credit assessment skills, as well as solid understanding of accounting and financial statement analysis
• Knowledge of relevant industry sector trends, sound business judgment and problem solving, negotiation and commercial skills
• Enthusiasm for working in multi-cultural teams and across borders, preferably with experience working in developing countries
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, fluency in other languages
(Arabic, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Spanish or Russian) is a plus
• Willingness to travel extensively and geographic flexibility
Application and Selection Process
Applications for the IFC YP program are accepted annually. The online application is open from mid/late-August to early October each year. Interviews usually take place in October/November, and offers are typically made in late December or early January. IFC YPP participants typically join in September of each year.
The application deadline is Tuesday, October 10, 2017 by 12 midnight EST.