USAID Fellowship Program Jan 2017
Jobs Vacancy : USAID/North East Intellectual Entrepreneurship Fellowship Program Jan 2017
Job Description : USAID/North East Intellectual Entrepreneurship Fellowship Program Jan 2017
Category : Fellowships
North East Regional Initiative and the USAID Office of Transition Initiatives (NERI/USAIDOTI) welcomes applications for the position below:
Job Title: North East Intellectual Entrepreneurship Fellowship (NEIEF) Program
- The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has contracted Creative Associates International to implement the North East Regional Initiative (NERI), a four-year project based in Abuja and operating in northeast Nigeria. Under NERI, Creative Associates works with civil society groups, communities, and Nigerian government stakeholders to deliver short-term assistance by awarding small grants to local and international partners working in northeast Nigeria.
- Activities, developed in concert with local stakeholders, will improve stability in Northeastern Nigeria by increasing positive engagement between civil society, communities, and the Gov’t of Nigeria (GON), developing and increasing access to sources of credible information, and supporting vulnerable youth.
- NERI works in Northeastern Nigeria to implement two core objectives; 1.) reduce percepetions of marginalizaton and 2.) challenge extremist ideas and narratives.
About the North East Intellectual Entrepreneurship Fellowship (NEIEF) Program
- As part of USAID/OTI Nigeria’s work to Counter Violent Extremism in Northeast Nigeria OTI is embarking upon an “Intellectual Entrepreneurship” duster of activities to work with a group of thought leaders, preparing and training them to engage in the difficult task of lighting the toxic philosophies of the insurgents.
- This cluster of activities will be selecting Forty-five (45) young men and women from the Northeast region of Nigeria (with Adamawa, Borno and Yobe as catchment states as well as applicants from other states across the Country) who will be taken through an entrepreneurship process exposing them to key ideas of liberal democracy, free markets, tolerance, separation of religion and governance and others. This will be done through book clubs, training and mentoring sessions on the relevant subject matters and principles.
- Each selected participant will receive a monthly stipend, a laptop and an e-reader uploaded with books and training/support materials.
- Outstanding Fellows MAY BE sponsored to participate in the Istanbul Network for liberty Annual Conference or the Oslo Freedom Forum Conference.
Thematic Focus for this Fellowship Round
Applicants are free to focus on one of the following themes during their fellowship period:
- Countering Violent Extremism in the North East
- Promoting Religious Tolerance in the North East
- Promoting Support for Gender and Social Inclusion in the North East
- Promoting Dialogue and Reintegration in the North East
North East Intellectual Entrepreneurship Fellowship Guidelines
- Applicants must be between 25 and 40 years of age (up to 45 years for Women).
- Applicants must be a citizen of Nigeria (with Adamawa, Borno and Yobe as catchment states)
- Applicants must have a background in community work, volunteerism, and policy engagement
- Applicants must be active in at least 3 Social Media Platforms for up to a year (Preference will be given to those active in more platforms over a longer period)
- Applicants must possess a Bachelor’s degree and have experience in policy-oriented activities.
- Applicants mast be fluent in both written and spoken English.
- The Fellowship requires a full commitment to the training and mentoring activities, book clubs and to maintaining active presence on social media – including maintaining blog and not less than 3 social media accounts throughout the currency of the fellowship.
- Fellows are required to commit to being available to attend all fellowship activities especially the training programs and Book Clubs review meetings and, any other meetings or travels that might arise during the fellowship period.
- NERI will cover all costs for travel and fellows would receive a stipend of up to #50k a month to cover the cost of local transport and internet access.
- Fellows will be provided with laptop computers and Book Readers with approved book club materials preloaded at the beginning of the fellowship and updated, if the need arises, from time to time.
Application Closing Date: 25th January, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should download and complete the “Application Form” below and send their application package by regular e-mail to: [email protected] Subject of email should be: “NEIEF-2017’’
Click Here to Download the Application Form (MS Word)
- Incomplete or late application will not be considered. Successful applicants will be notified by email.
- Candidates are advised to read carefully the information of the “Application Form” before submitting their application.